Registration opens today for Big Event 12: Womanist Midrash, led by the Rev. Dr. Wil Gafney. Dr. Gafney will be teaching on Womanist Midrash as a form of biblical interpretation and how to companion interpretive practices. This was the subject of her recent book, Womanist Midrash: A Reintroduction to the Women of the Torah and the Throne (Westminster John Knox Press, 2017).
The Rev. Wil Gafney, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of Hebrew Bible at Brite Divinity School in Fort Worth, Texas. In addition to Womanist Midrash, Dr. Gafney is the author of a commentary on Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah, Daughters of Miriam: Women Prophets in Ancient Israel and co-editor of The Peoples’ Bible and The Peoples’ Companion to the Bible. Find her full bio here.
Big Event will take place on Carnival Magic, sailing from Miami Florida, January 6-13, 2019. Click here to pay $100 and register with RevGalBlogPals, after which you will receive an email with our group booking number and the contact information for our Carnival agent. Cruise costs will be paid directly to Carnival.
There will be plenty of space available. Because the cost of a 7-day cruise is higher than our past cruises, we are opening sign-ups almost a year in advance to allow participants time to plan for the expense.
- A deposit of $250 ($500 for a single) to Carnival is required to reserve your cabin.
- It will be possible to add a roommate later.
- The full cruise balance is due to Carnival by October 23, 2018.
- Costs per person are approximately $914 for a double balcony and $1678.50 for a single balcony. Some interior cabins will also be available at a lower price. Direct booking with Carnival means that you will be able to benefit from promotions and past guest upgrades if applicable.
- You will have the option to purchase vacation protection ($65-$149 depending on cabin class) and to pre-pay your gratuities ($90.65 per person).
- The ship stops at Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan; Belize; and Cozumel.
- Please note the sailing dates are Sunday to Sunday.
- There will be ample opportunity for rest and recreation as well as study, and for what we like to call “galship.”
The mission of RevGalBlogPals, Inc. is to support and encourage women in ministry. At the Big Event, we welcome clergywomen regardless of denomination, as well as women engaged in other ministry work. All registrants must also be participants in the program.
Items covered by the cruise fee include: accommodations, dining, snacks, entertainment and recreational activities on board ship. Items not covered by above charges include: transportation to and from the Port of Miami, optional shore excursions and personal spending.
3 thoughts on “Big Event 12: Womanist Midrash”
I am seriously considering this. If I send in the $100 what are my obligations?
Sorry for the delay, I am just seeing your comment. At this point, the registration fee is refundable if you are not able to go on the cruise. When you register with RevGals, you will receive the group booking information and then set up your reservation on the cruise with our Carnival agent. A $500 deposit *per cabin* will hold a space on the ship (that can either be split with a roommate now, or a roommate added later, or be for a single cabin); the full balance is due in October. I hope this helps.
Martha Spong, Executive Director