Big Event 12: Womanist Midrash – January 6-13, 2019
Big Event 12: Womanist Midrash will be led by the Rev. Dr. Wil Gafney. Dr. Gafney will be teaching on Womanist Midrash as a form of biblical interpretation and how to companion interpretive practices. This was the subject of her recent book, Womanist Midrash: A Reintroduction to the Women of the Torah and the Throne (Westminster John Knox Press, 2017).
The Rev. Wil Gafney, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of Hebrew Bible at Brite Divinity School in Fort Worth, Texas. In addition to Womanist Midrash, Dr. Gafney is the author of a commentary on Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah, Daughters of Miriam: Women Prophets in Ancient Israel and co-editor of The Peoples’ Bible and The Peoples’ Companion to the Bible. Find her full bio here.
Big Event will take place on Carnival Magic, sailing from Miami Florida, January 6-13, 2019. Click here to pay $100 and register with RevGalBlogPals, after which you will receive an email with our group booking number and the contact information for our Carnival agent. Cruise costs will be paid directly to Carnival.
There will be plenty of space available. Because the cost of a 7-day cruise is higher than our past cruises, we are opening sign-ups almost a year in advance to allow participants time to plan for the expense.
- A deposit of $250 ($500 for a single) to Carnival is required to reserve your cabin.
- It will be possible to add a roommate later.
- The full cruise balance is due to Carnival by October 23, 2018.
- Costs per person are approximately $914 for a double balcony and $1678.50 for a single balcony. Some interior cabins will also be available at a lower price. Direct booking with Carnival means that you will be able to benefit from promotions and past guest upgrades if applicable.
- You will have the option to purchase vacation protection ($65-$149 depending on cabin class) and to pre-pay your gratuities ($90.65 per person).
- The ship stops at Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan; Belize; and Cozumel.
- Please note the sailing dates are Sunday to Sunday.
- There will be ample opportunity for rest and recreation as well as study, and for what we like to call “galship.”
The mission of RevGalBlogPals, Inc. is to support and encourage women in ministry. At the Big Event, we welcome clergywomen regardless of denomination, as well as women engaged in other ministry work. All registrants must also be participants in the program.
Items covered by the cruise fee include: accommodations, dining, snacks, entertainment and recreational activities on board ship. Items not covered by above charges include: transportation to and from the Port of Miami, optional shore excursions and personal spending.
23 women gathered for REVive on the Isle of Iona in May, 2017. Our REVive programs are smaller retreats, intended for groups of 20-25, with a more contemplative feeling. We hope to host another REVive on Iona in 2020 or 2021.
A Past Event We Hope to Repeat
March 24 – 26, 2017 at The Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia
RevGalBlogPals, in a joint effort with The Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, will offer a retreat specifically for women considering a call to professional ministry in the church. We hope you will share this event with women you know who are currently in discernment.
Unfortunately, a women’s call to ministry is not always readily affirmed and so this event aims to provide women of all ages and experience with a space to explore what God might be doing in their life. Talented pastors representing numerous different denominations will share their stories, insights, and experiences about their journey. Housing will be provided on campus and some meals supplied. There is no charge for the program.
This event is for women of all ages and denominations, but space is limited! Link to the registration page is on the event page.
We hope to repeat this event at other seminaries around the country. To explore the possibility for your seminary or theological school, please contact RevGals Executive Director Martha Spong, revgalblogpals (at) gmail (dot) com.